Think about those times in your life when you have felt inspired to something really great. Where does that inspiration come from?
The Holy Spirit. God inspires us to do great things with our lives.
----Matthew Kelly

Friday, February 24, 2017

{SQT} Getting Ready for Lent


Wow, it’s been quite a while since I participated in the Seven Quick Takes hosted by the marvelous Kelly at This Ain't the Lyceum. When I looked back, I realized my last post for SQT was 23 December. A lot has happened since then. 

πŸ™Is next Wednesday really Ash Wednesday??? How can that be? I had such a fantastic Lent last year, so I'm looking forward to this one. I think I'm all ready. I've signed up for Dynamic Catholic's Best Lent Ever. I have my books: My Blessed is She Lenten Journal 
and Scott Hahn's Lenten Reflections:
 

πŸ™Last Lent, instead of giving up something, I got up 30 minutes early so I could read the daily readings and reflections. I didn't so much journal as I did take notes on the reflections. I've continued to do this through the year, although some weeks I've been more dedicated than others. After reading the Heart of Mary Women's Fellowship Series on prayer (which is still going on), one of the posts really made me think about journaling. While I'm in Adoration, there are times  when I get the urge to write , to put my thoughts down on paper. But then I feel guilty because I'm writing when I should be talking to God. The post that really struck home made me realize that writing is a form of prayer. So this Lent, I'm going to keep more of a prayer journal instead of notes about the reflections. We'll see how it goes!

πŸ™I started a couple of different Lenten Photo a Days before, but never followed through, so I'm going to try again. There are a couple of different ones out there, but the one I'm attempting this year is from Catholic Sistas. As I wrote down each word in my planner, I had no idea how in the world I'm going to come up with a picture! I'll have to call on the Holy Spirit to help me, for sure!

πŸ™Since I just mentioned a planner, I have to say that I just love the one I'm using. I resisted a planner for a few years. Sure, they look nice, but what's the point? Just one more thing to lug around between schools & home. I've found one that I just adore, and it's from Blessed is She. I have everything in one spot: church, home, and school activities. I've always thought that I didn't need a monthly and weekly calendar in a planner, but I've changed my thinking. Here's what February looks like:
I πŸ’œ having the stickers on my monthly calendar so that if I have it open, someone can't see what my appointments are; I write those in on my weekly calendar. Oh, and I made some of the stickers myself without a fancy machine!

πŸ™ The Stations of the Cross is something I've looked forward to in the past few years, especially when the Marian Stations are said. To me, the Stations come alive and make it more personal as a mother imagining myself as Mary, and my son is the one enduring them. For an Eagle Scout project, a young man from my parish constructed outdoor Stations. I really hope it's used during one or more Fridays this Lent.

πŸ™ Ah, Fridays during Lent. Abstinence from eating meat means a lot of Friday evening Captain D's. At least it did, but I'm not sure if it will mean that this year. I used to go with my father to Captain D's on Lenten Fridays. He passed away on Feb. 1st, so I'm not sure if that weekly trip will be made.

πŸ™ When I started writing this post, I started where I left off, on Dec. 23rd. I started to talk about my father's decline, but then I decided that was too much of a downer. I will say this: My prayers for a happy, quick death were answered. 


1 comment: